Thursday 15 June 2006

A farewell party for 'Schering'

After a massive week of World Cup, Friday night was the annual Schering summer party. I had thought that I might skip it, and let my voice (and perhaps my liver) recover ready for Sunday. I had to keep in mind that I was to lecture to an MBA course on Monday, and with no voice on Thursday, resting it on Friday might get me over the line (depending, of course, on Sunday's match!). 

However, a few trusted colleagues said not to miss this party,  and it was well worth the effort. On arrival, I was handed a drink card - 8 free beers or 4 free spirits drinks! The place was enormous, but by 10:00 it was packed with THOUSANDS of people. Early on there were massive buffets of food, and the Schering employees descended. I had eaten at home with the family before I came out, so I just got to work on the drink card. 

Inside it was hot, humid, smokey and loud - but a great time. In the end the drink cards didn't matter, as I can up with some 'novel' methods of securing free drinks and at one point was topping up our group's drinks with a bottles of Rum and Vodka that I had 'procured'. Lots of dancing, chatting and having a good time. Interestingly, this will be the last such party we will have under the Schering name - it appears that the company has now been successfully acquired by Bayer, and next year I hope there will be a Bayer-Schering-Pharma event to rival this one! 

I snuck away a bit early and was home in bed by 3:00am. I think Saturday will be a rest day!

No comments: