Saturday 13 May 2006

Phil in Cairo

I flew out on Sunday to Cairo. It was my third visit, and each time I find the city fascinating, really vibrant and I always enjoy outstanding hospitality from my hosts. 
 
Third visit and third time to the Pyramids! 

The first time was a visit with a tour guide (a professor of Egyptology), the second was dinner in the desert, and this time I went to the 'sound and light' show. Using lighting and lasers, they tell the history of the pyramids and the Sphinx. The lighting makes the Sphinx appear to be narrating. Very loud commentary, and very '60's.

We then had a seafood dinner in a restaurant nearby. When the lights were on, the pyramids looked so close you could touch them. 

Work went well, but at some point I let my guard down and ate something I shouldn't have. I came home with a dose of 'spruhwurst' [ a German slang term for 'spraying sausage' - that is diarrhoea]. It first hit me in a shop. I asked for their toilet and raced against the clock up the stairs, through the back of the store and found the toilet.  Ahh relief. Only then did I notice NO DUNNY PAPER! After that explosion, it was really needed. Big problem! This is why I don't travel anywhere without a pack of 'babywipes' in my bag. I can't think what I would have done without them (maybe bought a few ties I would never wear...??)
 
Tough weekend to follow, but lesson learned. DON'T LET YOUR GUARD DOWN with the food.

After 18 months of travelling to the most exotic (and dirty) places, I have never had a dose.. until now. . I have one week in Berlin before I head off again. Hopefully my innards will be back to normal!

No comments: