Saturday 23 December 2006

Ice Skating

One thing that  we really love about winter is being able to go outdoor ice skating on Sunday mornings! We have a local ice stadium that has an outer 400m ring and a central rink, which may both be open at once, or sometimes one is closed for lessons, or racing. It is great to get there when the place opens, because the ice is perfectly smooth. We skate for an hour or so, stop for a cup of coffee or hot chocolate and then skate for about another hour. At the moment it is still quite warm (3-5 degrees C), it is something special when it begins to snow when you are ice skating.

Sonia, Alan and Bradley, and Michelle, Gordon & Meghan are usually there, and often there are a many other school families too.  It is a great social morning.
We have all improved a lot since last year, and this year we have our own ice skates. The boys are confident and have a great time skating and mucking around. 



















Nicole and I will often skate and chat with our friends. Whilst I have been on holiday I have been 3 times so far. On Tuesday, whilst the boys were still in school, I went by myself and got a bit of practice in. 

I am trying to improve my skating and I often see young kids and old guys skating around effortlessly doing stuff I can't - I think a lot more practice and maybe some lessons and I can get there. At the moment I am working on skating backwards, and crossing over my skates so I can do tight, fast corners (forwards!). Makes for a bit of fun whilst I try new things and a few spills as well!














The boys are really getting the hang of it, this time last year they were clinging to the walls. Now they really belt around!

No comments: