Monday 6 March 2006

An hour in Poland

















What shall we do today? Let's get on a train and go to Poland for a quick visit to the market! 

Well, why not. About 12 of us got on the train and headed over to Poland, after the kids were dropped off at school. Strange looks from the border police when they see an Australian Passport, and it takes a bit longer than the rest of the group. 

The river we crossed was frozen over. If you look really closely you can see guys on the river with their little ice holes dug out (careful how you say that), trying to catch fish. 

Markets were interesting, lots of bargains, if you are after cigarettes, or lingerie that leave nothing to the imagination.

We did find a small stand with some Polish pottery, and I bought a few pieces for the collection.  Bottles  of Polish Vodka were bought and then consumed on the return train.

As for those "Roll Mops" garlic or peppers wrapped in pickled herrings , they were eaten on the train, but not by me! I have not acquired a taste for these, and I can't see it happening at any stage in the future, regardless of how much vodka is consumed. 
A fun day!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I guess a trip to the market must have been *mhhm* interesting ;) I'm slowly getting back to normal after the move (although we still live out of boxes) and I'd love to meet you! I live in Friedrichshein and my e-mail addy is: gosiuniek AT gmx DOT de

Anne S said...

You're a crack-up ... fancy going to Poland for such a short time! Sounds like you had a very interesting time haha ... shame not 'all' the booze made it across the border LOL.