Friday 30 December 2005

Day 3 in London

Friday Mum and Dad wanted to explore more of London. The ticket from the Bus Tour gave us the opportunity to follow the blue tour line for free the next day. Mum and Dad went to Harrods for High Tea and around some of the other highlights of London. 

We got the train and bus to Bluewater Shopping Centre, and  met Kylie, Rob and Oliver there.

It was so nice to see familiar brands, sizes, and be able to ask questions in English and fully understand the answer! :) We bought a few bits and pieces. The boys found a Lego shop, and came out with a few bags. 

After the "interesting" customer service we get so often in Berlin, it was pleasant being served with a smile. 

An example of this...we were in a local Berlin coffee shop mid morning (only customers in the shop) 

This is how it went (translated into English for you) 

Me: Could I please have 3 cappuccinos and 2 Hot Chocolates" 
Staff: "Sorry our cappuccino machine is broken". 
Me "Could I please have 3 normal coffees, and 2 Hot Chocolates please" 
Staff "I can make the coffees, but I do not have time to make Hot Chocolates" 
Me: Stunned silence "mmm, What??" 

Looking around the shop...still no customers.
Staff :(whilst making the coffees) "Are the Hot Chocolates for the children?" 
Me: "Yes" Staff: "I can make one for you....but it will take 2 minutes" 
Me: "OK" (sounding very confused, and not having enough language to argue and tell her she was crazy.)
Hence, we will never go there again.

Anyway back to London

I went into a shop where I had recently had a catalogue sent to me, but prices of postage to Berlinwas expensive to justify the items. I picked up a few things, but couldn't find the item I was really after. 

Staff: Hi There, did you find everything you were after today?" 
Me: "Yes thank you...er...actually no. I was looking for this Xmas Card Tree stand..do you have a catalogue handy?" 
Staff: Sure (hand under the counter, producing catalogue for me to look through) 
Me: (I fliped through the catalogue, until I found the item) "This Xmas Tree Stand, I looked for it, but couldn't find it." 
Staff: "Just a minute, let me check for you" and off she ran to check for me. 2 minutes later she comes back with item in hand 
"You are in luck" she says, " This is 60% off" 
Me: "Fabulous, I will take that as well, Thank you!!!"

Anyway, after drooling over lots of terrific shops, we headed back to our hotel to meet Mum and Dad and have dinner with them.

No comments: