Wednesday 20 February 2008

Bread thief

My German skills fail me again.
Cookeria.
This is the Cooking School we have booked Alexander's birthday party in a few weeks. I saw it advertised in the local newspaper, and we went in to see her to arrange the details for the party.

After organising the party details I asked about the Wednesday Lunch Special. This is how I translated the blurb in the paper. There are 4 meals to chose from, you cook it, and then you can eat it there, or take it home with you. I missed out a few important words. This was discussed later in the week with my German teacher, Inger with much laughter.

Here is what happened.
You don't cook the food, the staff cook the food. I missed the words that meant "we cook the food for you.  You order from the 4 meals, and the staff bring you a plate of it! It was delicious, and I will go back again. Sounds simple right?

Stammtisch, is a large communal table. It is a great set up. 

The Stammtisch here was a long narrow table, and chairs were set up on both sides.When I sat down there was a basket of bread in the middle of the table. Whilst I was eating my meal, I took a piece of bread. The lady opposite me looked at me strangely.  I don't take any notice of the strange looks anymore, because this happens regularly to me. I just ignored it.

After the main meal, and waiting for dessert, I looked around, and notice no other parts of the table have baskets of bread. I thought it was a bit weird, but then my dessert arrived and I didn't think anymore about it. 
When I finished, and went to pay for my meal, I notice on the menu that you can "buy a basket of bread" as an extra!

So, I had helped myself to this lady's bread.  Surprisingly she said nothing to me about stealing her bread! However, I can imagine later she was telling her family about this woman eating her lunch and not even batting an eye.

Every time I think about it, it makes me laugh. 
Phil is convinced I must have some convict blood in me, and it is just starting to show!

The food was great, and I will be going next Wednesday. If you want to join me, let me know! I will be getting there about 12.30 and I will buy the basket of bread and share t with you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hee Hee! I actually laughed aloud reading this story. I could totally see myself doing something like that. Convict blood eh! Too funny :)