Tuesday 25 April 2006

Anzac Day Memorial Service

My friend Jocelyn, (NZ), rang me yesterday to ask if I was going to the service. I didn't even know that there would be one in Berlin.

This morning we went to the Berlin War Cemetery, not far from the school. Beautifully kept gardens and lawns, with rows and rows of graves, a very moving place. Jocelyn's husband's great grandfather is buried here, and she showed me his headstone. He was a pilot and was gunned down, age 35. (which is quite old compared to the ages of some of the other men in this cemetery, the 2 men either side of him were only 20!) 

The Australian and New Zealand Ambassadors addressed the crowd, as well as a representative from the Turkish Embassy. The service was completed with hymns and the last post, and 1 minute silence. 

Many wreaths of flowers were placed in front of the Stone of Remembrance. 
The flowers in some of these wreaths were spectacular....I would have taken a photo, but I didn't think it was quite the right place to do so! Afterwards we went to the ANZAC function at the New Zealand residence, which was really nice. 
 
Later I made Anzac cookies for afternoon tea when the boys are home from school!

No comments: