Sunday, 14 October 2007

Tutorial on PPP for Anne

Paper pieced Pentagons....not this is not a new invention from me. Anne asked me to show how these were made...if you want a proper look at this method, check out Liesel Niesner and Hilde Klatt's book, Liesel's Hexagon Techniques and ......book. Printed in German and English

Here is their website to buy pre-cut paper pieces, the book and the clips too. I love the pre-cut cards that I bought. They are are reuseable many times over.

http://www.liesels-ecke.de/index.htm

Here is my copy of the book, and some of the pentagons I have already made.

Step 1: Cut out fabric with a reasonable seam allowance around the pentagon.
Step 2: Fold the fabric over the card and clip them together to make stitching easier/
Step 3: Stitch a basting thread through the fabric at each point, making sure it is not too tight to bend the cardboard, but not too loose that the card will fall out.

Step 4: Once you have lots of pentagons stitched like this, you can start to stitch them together into groups of 4.

Step 5: Then you can sew the groups of 4 together. You can remove the card once each shape had been stitched on each side. The card keeps your shapes together, it is better to remove the cards as you have sewn all the sides of each pentagon, as it makes the quilt easier to fold and put away, otherwise it will be stiff and awkward, and you will damage the card and not be able to use them again. Leave the basting thread in the backs,this will keep the seams all going inwards and makes no difference to the front of your quilt!




Then you can turn them over and see what you have stitched. You can see I haven't done too many yet. This is a project that I am doing while I wait for the kids to come home on the school bus. I sit in the garden and wait for the bus to arrive. So this is a big WIP, and I will probably have to stop sewing it while I wait for the bus when the weather changes, and I will need to wear gloves. My neighbour is very interested in watching the process of this quilt!
I hope these instructions help Anne!

1 comment:

Aussie Stitcher said...

WOW that looks like a long but totally rewarding process. I remember making a hexagonal cushion at school, we were told to push the needle through the card, that was hard, your process is so much better.