Friday, 16 March 2007

Hobbies Day at school

Sorry no photos...although Mr Day took some video....I told him strictly only to video quilts, not me!


Anyway, I had a 20 minute talk with the Year 3,4 and 5's to talk about my quilting. I took in about 7 of my quilts, some of the designs on graph paper, and a sample of wadding. Alexander and one of the Year 5 boys helped hold up the quilts for me as I talked about them.

I talked about how I had been quilting for about 17 years, and how I went from a simple drawing from a sheet, to the final product. The kids asked some really great questions, and I really enjoyed talking about my quilts (if you are a frequent reader of this blog, you will know that is the case!) One of the teachers later asked me if I would teach her to quilt, and she said some of the other teachers would be interested as well. So, I need to think about this one a bit more, and see how many would be really serious about it. Below is one of the quilts that I did take along with me. As a thankyou gift, I was given a box of Quality Street Chocolates...yum! :)

4 comments:

Carole said...

That's wonderful that you were able to share you hobbie with others. Love the quilt you brought with you. The colours are sweet! Happy quilting!

Beth said...

That quilt is gorgeous! Do you remember where you found the pattern? I was having a "just a mom' week last week..and feeling invisible at the same time. I'm SO glad my pity party is OVER...back to quilting!

Sweet P said...

How wonderful to share your hobby with children. You showed off a beautiful quilt.

I tried to click on the link to vote for your photo, but the link won't work. I'll keep trying.

Helen in the UK said...

What a great way to spread the quilting word :)